Wednesday, March 18

Change of Plans

Wednesday, March 18
Training for: Springtime Tallahassee 10K (yes, that's right, 10K)
 
Cardio: 0
Weights: ??
 
Food: Breakfast: Quaker Take Heart Blueberry Oatmeal - 160
         Lunch: South Beach Diet Turkey Bacon Wrap Kit - 240
         Snack: yogurt - 60; orange - 62
         Dinner:  Thinking Tacos.....not sure on cals
Total Food: 522 +tacos
 
Self Confidence:  8
 
So - as you can see from the top of my post, I've decided to man up and run the 10K next Saturday instead of the 5K.  I was hoping to improve my 5K time originally.  But, thousands of people run in the Springtime Race - meaning, its going to be similar to the Turkey Trot, where it took me *at least* a mile to get to the speed I wanted to cruise at.  This is because not everyone is courteous and places themselves in the correct area based on speed.  Several people with strollers, dogs, younger kids, you name it were close to the front of the crowd.  This requires other runners, who want to go fast, to dodge obstacles and hopefully not trip over leashes while passing around people.   So, I figure I'll do the 10K for fun, just to say I did it.  Plus, my friend Katie will be running - she's a super speedy 5K runner (did the last one in 23 minutes), but says she doesn't think she can run a full 10K without walking - but, I think she undersells herself when it comes to running - she's modest.  So, I'll run it with her and hopefully I can keep up!
 
Something else new - I got fitted for running shoes.  Formally, by a local running store.  I was pretty excited about this, as, I had never been told what the correct shoe I needed was by a professional before.  However, I'm having issues with these shoes.  I ran on them for the first time yesterday - only did 3.5 miles just to test them out.  They felt great for the first 20-25min or so.  But, then they started to feel like I was going to get a blister on the inside arch of my right foot.  No good.  Also, after I ran yesterday, my left hip started to kill me - right where my hip flexor is about.  It was pretty sore - sore to the point where if I rolled weird in the middle of the night it would hurt.  Its hurting as I sit here and type this. 
 
After work today I plan to go and return the shoes.  I'm almost hoping a different employee is there - mostly to get a second opinion.  My initial thought is that they are at least a half size too big.  My heels slip - and I couldn't get them tied tight enough to prevent it.  Not to mention, if its a shoe that fits properly, I shouldn't get blisters.  So, we'll see. 
 
Another thing I'm going to do (hopefully today) is start seeing a chiropractor again.  I really like my Tallahassee Chiro.  He's fantastic, and, very preventative-minded and extremely health conscious.  I originally went last year for a TMJ episode I had (my jaw went crooked - not fun).  But, since my insurance sucked, I couldn't really afford to keep going on a regular basis. But, I have different insurance now, so its more affordable for me to keep up with it - so I'm going to call to make an appointment to become re-established.

0 comments: