Wednesday, March 11

All Women are Neurotic: This is my story (Part 2)

Wednesday, March 11

Training for: Springtime Tallahassee 5K; Freedom Hills Sprint Triathlon

 

Cardio: 30min biking - 233, 30min running - 334

Weights: 0

Calories Burned: 567 (this was taken from an online calorie calculator - I'll update my real calories from my HR monitor tomorrow)

 

Food: Breakfast - Quaker Weight Control Banana Bread Oatmeal - 160

         Lunch - South Beach Diet wrap kit - 240

         Snack - yogurt - 60; snack bar - 100

         Dinner - Lasagna (made with italian sausage and whole wheat lasagna noodles) and whole wheat garlic bread. - I wouldn't be surprised if this is closer to 700-800s

Total Food: 560 +dinner = somewhere between 1260-1360 (too lazy to do exact calculations)

 

Self-Confidence:  8

 

Before we get on with the story, I have a confession:

Last night, after I got home from the gym, I'm starving as usual.  I pretty much devoured a box of cheese-nips and ate some pepperoni that was sitting in the fridge (there wasn't enough to make a pizza anyway).  So, I'm going to say we'll have to add on approximately 400 calories to my daily total - which - I calculated and my dinner was only around 550 cals.  So, my total for yesterday was 550+550+400 = 1500.  Still not too bad.  Oh yeah, I forgot, I ate 2 thin mints also.  Add another 80 - 1580.  Now I'm pushing it....

 

So, here I am.  Finally seeing results.  Well, my job at Group Publishing was a temporary position.  It ended in June 2002.  I couldn't find another job.  I had a degree in Business-CIS, and I happened to graduate right after the 9-11 tragedy, which spurred the downfall of the Internet and IT industry.  It really sucked.  All my professors had ingrained into my head that I was worth $45K  a year right out of school.  So, you can only imagine my disappointment, and frustration, when I couldn't find a job. 

 

I actually don't even remember what I did between July 2002 and March 2003, when I was re-hired for more seasonal work at Group Publishing. 

 

Oh wait.  Yes, I do.  I pretended I wanted to be a teacher, and enrolled in a Master's Program at CSU for Teaching.  That lasted an entire semester.  I did however, have student loans I could live off (and now, unfortunetly have to pay back).

 

After that fiasco failed, I went back to Group.  After Group, I tempted for Larimer County doing more data entry BS.  It did however, pay a little better.  $10/hr.

 

During this whole job transition between Group/School/Temping I ballooned up again.  I hit 167.  The main reason for this was that I couldn't afford to eat well, and I couldn't afford to workout.  This recession proves it - unhealthy food is cheap.  During this time, though, it was generally Steve that paid for the groceries.  This also put a strain on our relationship.  Me being unemployed was not healthy for us.   He too, ballooned up.  He hit 198lbs.  At the time, he worked in Longmont and commuted from Fort Collins to Longmont.  Then, his company moved to Denver, by DIA.  He had a 70-mile one way commute.  Obviously leaving no time or energy for a workout.

 

Another family reunion rolled around.  This time, Steve came with.  Jackson Hole, WY.  And, leave it to your family to be brutally honest.  My grandmother flat out told me I needed to lose weight.  And she was right.  Again, pictures surfaced.  What was I thinking even wearing a two piece??!!  I looked pregnant! 

 

Thankfully, not long after I landed a job at New Century Software, Inc.  More data entry.  But, better pay, $12/hr, and room for growth.  This is how I fell into the GIS industry.  I did great work here, and was continually given more responsibility.  I was happy that I finally worked somewhere where people recognized I had a brain, and trusted me with more advanced tasks.  I even received a raise during my two years there, which, I've never worked anywhere long enough to even be considered for a raise (except Cracker Barrel, which, doesn't count). 

 

The best thing, there was a gym across the street from my work.  And, I could actually afford to be a member.  So, I joined.  Got myself down to the 140s.  Steve and I moved in together.

 

One of the best things about NCS was the people.  I made several friends there, some of whom I still keep in contact with.  The best thing about these friends were, they were all similar in age, in similar life stages (mid-20s, still building their careers), and had similar interests.  One interest that many of us shared was being healthy and losing weight.  There are two people in particular at NCS that directly motivated me and fed my fitness neurosis:  Dawnetta and Amber.

 

This saga will continue with Part 3, tomorrow!

0 comments: