Tuesday, January 27

Focus *and* Try!

Tuesday, January 27
Ok - I've decided that my blog needs a focus, and, I've decided that my focus is going to be my training efforts. I could use the term "weight loss" but such a negative connotation comes to mind when I think of the word 'diet.' Not to mention, I am technically, in training. I will attempt to follow the same format on a mostly daily basis. This includes listing what I am currently training for, what my workouts have consisted of, and what I have eaten for that day. Also note, there will be a "self-confident" meter - this will rate my perception of myself for that day. It will range from 1 to 10, with a 1 being on the verge of me wishing to fall off the face of the Earth, and 10 being I couldn't be any happier to be myself and the rest of the world loves me too! I'm hoping this new format will not only keep me accountable, but maybe inspire others as well.

So, sit back, relax, and enjoy my new blog:


Training For: Springtime Tallahassee 5K

Cardio: 1.5 miles running, 5 miles biking
Weights: Shoulders - Overhead Press, Upright Row
Biceps - 7-up curls, Preacher Curls
Triceps - Triceps Extension, Triceps Press
Calories burned*: 350

Food: Breakfast - FiberOne Yogurt (80)
Lunch - Panera Bread Caesar Salad w/ whole grain baguette (650)
Dinner - Beef Stroganoff w/ whole wheat noodles (400)
Total Food: 1130

Self Confidence: 7

So, I had a good morning today. I finished my lab assignment, got bored in class, left class, picked up lunch (see, I hadn't been grocery shopping this week yet, which is usually a Sunday chore) went back to work. I ate my lunch, and started cleaning up my work computer. I'm getting a new "box" this week. I've had the same computer since I've started at my current job, and, in all honesty I'm pretty happy with it. But, me being somewhat of a computer nerd due to my background in CIS is never going to turn down the opportunity to get the next bigger and better thing. While doing so, I came across some "must keep" mp3s that were hanging out in the My Music folder - this is a big no-no! So, being the smart gal I felt myself to be, whipped out my flash drive......oh....wait....where is my flash drive?? I had it in class...I disconnected it and put it in my bag.....or, so I remember.....but now its gone. Never found it.

At least I remembered my sports bra today.

Today was my first day at the gym this week (because yesterday I forgot to pack a sports bra!). I was only semi-motivated to go. Mainly because, I had to go grocery shopping. And, I hate grocery shopping on weekdays. It cuts into my "me" time, which, is a rare commodity (ah, just wait till I have kids! That my friends is another post all in itself). Usually, my schedule is:

work: 7-4:30
gym: 4:30-5:30
me time: 5:30 - 8ish (sometimes 7:30)
dinner w/Steve: 8-8:30
8:30-10: Miscellaneous time with Steve

Anyway, lately Steve's been so busy at work, he hasn't had time to hit the gym on a regular basis, so, my schedule looks more like:

work: 7-4:30
gym: 4:30-5:30
me time: 5:30 - 6:30
dinner w/Steve: 6:30-7
7-10: Miscellaneous time with Steve

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my husband and I love doing things with him, but, I really really enjoy my 2 hour of 'me time' everyday. It has been cut to an hour, sometimes 30 minutes. I use this time to unwind, prep dinner, maybe blast my ipod and pretend I'm good at singing, practicing my violin/piano. But, today, grocery shopping cut into my 'me time.'

Anyway, I keep forgetting I'm trying to focus on my training efforts. The gym was good. I'd like to have gotten a little more cardio in, but, seeing as how I had to grocery shop, spending more time at the gym was not an option. My knees felt so-so today. Some of you may know, I've struggled with sports & crappy joints pretty much since my shoulder popped during swim practice in 8th grade. My mom calls them "lax" joints - in layman's terms - I have more 'space' around my joints than I should, therefore, they move around when they shouldn't, making them sore, painful, and quite annoying! I've been diagnosed with supraspinatus tendinitis, patellae tendinitis, chronic rhomboid strain (due to my supraspinatus tendinitis), and most recently, chondromalacia. If you don't know what those are, google them. Basically, the competition gods are against me. Which, if you know me for any period of time you will soon learn I am highly competitive and I HATE losing. And, I especially hate to lose because of some stupid reason like "I can't train because my knee hurts" Ugh, that is the worst. Now, I am not so stubborn that I won't follow doctor's orders, but, I am stubborn enough to where once I start feeling good, you better believe I'm back in the game. I'm sure when I'm 40 and have the knees of a 75yr old I'll regret it, but, I won't regret competing in my first triathlon at 30 years old, that's for sure!

0 comments: