Monday, July 6

Things I think I already knew but needed to hear

Monday, July 6
Last week, I had lunch with one of the managers where I work. I've been somewhat intrigued by this person since I started my current job. I'll admit though, that not all of my past opinions of this individual have been positive. I was subjected to a myriad of negative gossip upon the start of my current position, and much of it invloved this person.

However, over the past year or so, I've started watching this person (ok, sounds slightly stalker-ish, but not what I mean). I wanted to see if I could figure out how he "finagled" his way into his current position. Interestingly enough, he is not the manipulative sycophant many people describe him as (or wish he was). He really is just a charming, yet humble, individual who seems to have a great knack for comprehending and establishing working interpersonal relationships with great business-sense. I believe this skill (which I'm really hoping I can learn from him) really helped drive how he got to where he is today.

So, I asked him if we could do lunch. I wanted to pick his brain and get some advice. I learned four tidbits of wisdom that will help me get ahead in my career:


1. Surround yourself with good people. And, surround yourself with the right people. There is nothing wrong with a little bit of shoulder rubbing if it will help you get to where you need to be. You must market yourself and been seen if you want to get ahead. But don't just rub shoulders with anyone. Don't waste time with negative people, even if they are bigwigs. Their negativity could rub off on you, making you less likeable to those who can have an impact on your career.

2. Look for opportunities (projects) that will have a big impact. This can directly relate to #1. If people don't know you, they most likely won't think of you when they need something done. However, if you see a need, then jump on the opportunity to be involved. Don't wait for someone to ask you to do it.

3. Be good at what you do. This falls right in line with the first two. If you aren't good at what you do, your projects won't be successful. People will remember the lack of results, not that you "did your best". Spend the time to learn how to be the best at what you do now.

4. Get supervisory experience**. This will come with time. No one gets to be a manager right away. But, the sooner, the better (I'm guessing). This is one thing I currently lack in my career. I haven't had any opportunities to supervise. I have however, had plenty of project management experieince, in which, I did have to directly work with others and manage their work. Not quite like being a supervisor, but, still holding myself accountable for others' results.

So after all this, he suggested we meet again in a month. I had yet had any time to absorb anything he said. I wasn't even sure I had paid enough attention to what was being said since I felt nervous and out of my comfort zone the entire time. So much so I don't remember eating anything - but I'm pretty sure I downed three big glasses of water. But, apparently it sank in as I wrote this entire post on it. I agreed to a second lunch, but I think I sounded somewhat hesitant about it. Like I said, I hadn't really figured out if I got anythign out of it until later. So, I will reconfim this week, and go ahead and schedule it now so I can make it a priority.

I may just have a mentor here....something that has been absent from my professional career since leaving NCS. I'm looking forward to learning more, and I have a ton of stuff that I want to ask now. Next time, I won't be so nervous - hopefully, and, I might actually eat something.

**Between you and me, I hope #4 is in my very near future. My boss retires at the end of this month, and, I've applied for his job. I'm really going to have to turn my charm on over the next few weeks.

0 comments: